Jose A. Onieva
Domain of interest and research
- Digital Identity
- Covert Channels
- Malware Analysis
- Non-repudiation protocols, Fair exchange protocols, Certified Electronic Protocols and Contract Signing Protocols
- Edge/Fog Computing Security
Researcher ID: K-9846-2014
- Edge/Fog Computing: In NICS, we are trying to define the basic security services for Fog and Edge Computing because we think that this paradigm brings new challenges and opportunities that makes providing these services to the resource continiuum from cloud to sensors an exciting task. SMOG and SecureEDGE are allowing us to take the first steps towards that objective.
- Malware Analysis: We are tackling different problems related with Malware:
- Malware analysis is complicated due to anti-forensic techniques. This needs to be tackled by continuous new counter techniques.
- Indicators of Compromise need to be intelligently collected and graphed to allow Malware Investigations independently from Malware complexity and with auto expanding graphs.
- Binary Code similarity needs to be effective and efficiently processed in order to correlate similar behaviours among petabytes of malware code. One of our efforts to this objective is the design of a a new fuzzy hash function that is efficient and recognizes code functionality.
- IA results applied to malware
I received the M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in computer science from the University of Málaga, Spain, in 2002, and 2006, respectively.
CCBHash (Compound Code Block Hash) para Análisis de Malware Proceedings Article
In: XVII Reunión Española sobre Criptología y Seguridad de la Información, pp. 168-173, 2022, ISBN: 978-84-19024-14-5.
Personal IoT Privacy Control at the Edge Journal Article
In: IEEE Security & Privacy, vol. 20, pp. 23 – 32, 2022, ISSN: 1540-7993.
Edge-Assisted Vehicular Networks Security Journal Article
In: IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 6, pp. 8038-8045, 2019, ISSN: 2327-4662.
Immune System for the Internet of Things using Edge Technologies Journal Article
In: IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 6, pp. 4774-4781, 2019, ISSN: 2327-4662.
Covert Communications through Network Configuration Messages Journal Article
In: Computers & Security, vol. 39, Part A, pp. 34 – 46, 2013, ISSN: 0167-4048.
Certified electronic mail: Properties revisited Journal Article
In: Computers & Security, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 167 – 179, 2010, ISSN: 0167-4048.
Secure Multi-Party Non-Repudiation Protocols and Applications Book
Springer, 2009, ISBN: 978-0-387-75629-5.
Attended courses and seminars
- IPICS’05. International Summer School. University of the Aegean, Chios, Greece. 18-29 July, 2005.
- General (co)chair:
- II Workshop in Information Security Theory and Practices 2008 (WISTP 2008). Sevilla, May 13-16.
- 1st FTRA International Workshop on Convergence Security in Pervasive Environments (IWCS 2011), Crete, Greece, June 28-30, 2011.
- FTRA/IEEE 3rd International Conference on Computer Science and its Applications (CSA-11).
- Program committee member (a selection):
- 5th International Conference on Security and Cryptography (SECRYPT 2010). Athens, Greece, 26-28 July.
- IV Workshop in Information Security Theory and Practices 2010 (WISTP 2010), Passau, Germany, April 2010.
- Fifth International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2010), Krakow, Poland 15-18 February.
- 6th International ICST Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks (SecureComm 2010), Singapore, 7-10 Septiember.
- 4th International Conference on Network and System Security (NSS 2010). Melbourne, Australia, 1-3 September.
- 8th IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC 2011), Security Track. Las Vegas, USA, 8-11 January.
- V Workshop in Information Security Theory and Practices 2010 (WISTP 2011), Heraklion, Greece, 1-3 June.
- 8th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2013), University of Regensburg, Germany. 2-6, September, 2013.
- 8th International Conference on Security of Information and Networks (SIN2015). Sochi, Russia, 8-10 September, 2015.
- Fifth International Symposium on Security in Computing and Communications (SSCC’17), Karnataka, India, 13-16 September 2017.
- Fifth Workshop on Cryptography and Security in Computing Systems (CS2 2018). Manchester, UK, 24 January.
- 2019 European Workshop on Security and Privacy in Edge Computing (EuroSPEC 2019). Stockholm, Sweden, 16 June, 2019.